Forum Classics

Off-Season Football Tidebits

Posted by BAMA K on July 13, 2000

I’m sure you folks realize that you can buy a lot of things but unfortunately Time isn’t one of them. I would like to emphasize that this is the “rest, relaxation, and re-charge your batteries” time of year so news is extremely light. Also, keep in mind that the staff and most sources have been away on the beach in a literal sense.

I’ll do my best to share what I do know which hopefully will be somewhat fresh and original. As I’ve previously stated, I don’t have time to check all of the info on the net so there may be repetition. In an effort to avoid the long posting hiatus’s I may depart from the usual longer posts and instead provide shorter posts but more frequently.

So, let’s get down to what’s going on with Bama. Here’s a handful of Tidebits:

-The source who normally provides the commitment info is out of pocket but the general feeling is that UA feels very good about roughly 14-15 prospects which represents approximately two-thirds of the ‘2001 class.

-There seems to be more position coach input this season according to sources regarding which prospects are to be offered. When I previously posted that Bama would focus on the “best of the best” there should have been a disclaimer. My understanding is that Bama will again have it’s solid share of both Gold-Chippers and Blue-Chippers but the evaluation/selection process could frankly care less about Recruiting Services lists. Apparently, there is the philosophy that you should also offer solid prospects who’ll likely be solid but maybe not spectacular back-ups and who improve team chemistry by bringing a positive influence in the locker room. As history has shown, sometimes these solid but unspectacular signees exceed everyone’s initial expectations.

-Bama currently has 2 LB “privates” at this juncture with 1 in-state and the other from a neighbor state. Rodney recently profiled the latter and don’t be surprised if his “public” isn’t too far around the corner. The kid is 6’3”,210, 4.6 and sources say that the staff loves him.

-Sources have indicated that Bama will sign only these 2 LB prospects but hope to sign a FB who has the versatility ala Jeremy Walker to switch to the “Mike” or ILB position if needed. These candidates include Sean Sanderson, BJ Dean, Freddie Roach, and the Arkansas kid whose name escapes me.

-Sean Sanderson’s speed has been questioned by some in Tennessee but sources say he was timed under 4.6 at the Bama, Michigan, and Penn State camps. He has been labeled a larger Jeremy Walker-type but realistically pulling him out of his home turf will be tough and could only be achieved late in the process.

-It is possible Bama may sign more in-state prospects than previously thought.

-It is indeed accurate that a certain prospect had a difficult camp especially catching the ball. However, he is definitely being strongly recruited and all signs point to Bama landing this prematurely/unfairly-designated Randy Moss prototype.

-Even though both I and others previously stated that “Cadillac” would be the top RB in America obviously those ratings didn’t materialize. However, whether the most talented or not he is definitely the top RB signee on our board. You just can’t hand an in-state stud like him to Knoxville if for no other reason.

-Look for Andrew to remain the starter at QB because frankly his arm will permit Bama to run it’s full offense.

-Don’t expect more than 1-2 additional WR commitments because frankly Bama has more than it’s share of allotted scholarships devoted to that one area. Biddle is the hot name right now but also Charles Frederick, Michael Clayton and Bryan Bass out of Fayette are possibilities. However, Bass is an expected top 10 baseball draftee so he’s not likely in the end.

-There is apparent slight concern about the back-up center position especially grooming a successor to Paul Hogan. The worst-case scenario is moving “Big Sexy” Alexander there but that isn’t expected. As I’ve previously posted, Alonzp Ephraim hit a wall last October in his development but don’t discount him because the kid is even younger than his sophomore status at only 18 or so. Also, Matt Lomax, Danny Martz, and most assuredly Reggie Cordy will likely get their opportunities with the betting line favoring Reggie Cordy to be the surprise here.

-Obviously, Bama is well stocked in numbers going into the future at RT which now leaves the emphasis turning to the more demanding LT slot. Lannis Baxley will likely get his shot here this season but in the future possibilities include Dan Parrish who is the 6’6”, 275, late-bloomer out of Tallahassee who didn’t get a true opportunity to play until there was a coaching change there, a projected DL, or Atlas Herrion which is not clear at this juncture.

-Bama will sign more DL and don’t rule out TE/OL/DL prospect Marcus Clemons ending up here if Bama can sign him. Also, another TE prospect may end up here.

-Sources have said that it would be a surprise if Brooks Daniels is able to help this year before putting on more muscle.

-Sources tell me not to expect Marvin Constant until the Arkansas game contrary to the kid’s commendable proclamation.

-Another prospect to look out for is possibly Kendall Gibson of Aliceville who is still being evaluated. I apologize for forgetting his position.

-Expect Bama to sign around 26-27 prospects.

-It now appears that the stadium expansion project I mentioned earlier this year has been put on hold until more pressing projects are taken care of. The tennis courts are being taken care of in short order which will provide the RV lot by the first Bryant-Denny game.

--A prominent coach told a source not to worry about Albert Means because in his words “the kid will shed 20 lbs. after 2 weeks of practice when we’re through with him”.

-At least temporarily losing Bryant and Mitchell definitely stings but even I have noticed setbacks at every other program just ask those guys in Knoxville. Bama will still have more material than any opponent it faces until possibly it’s bowl game.

-Sources state that everyone realizes that the program will not be completely healthy until the need to throw in true freshman is a thing of the past which may not occur until ‘2002. However, still be comforted in knowing at least the athletic ability exists to do great things with quality coaching.

-The word now is that Saban’s staff is recruiting harder than anyone around. Also, UGA boosters have told me while transacting business that Donnan has assured every Alumni group that their staff will sign almost every top in-state target they pursue. The proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.

-Surprisingly, the AU staff truly believed they were going to surprise the world and sign Anthony Bryant because after "“ear"”committed publicly to Bama evidently a group of AU staffers tracked down "Bear’s” brothers at their local Post Office and angrily accused him of pushing the kid to UA.

-Finally, the recent post by the UT fan, Yellowdog, couldn’t have been info from a coach because there were too many inaccuracies riddled in it. Will they ever give it a rest ?

Well, hopefully this is enough for most of you for now. As slow as it is right now it has been pointed out to me that this is the highest level of info this traditionally slow time of year. As stated earlier, I’ll attempt to jump in a little more frequently with some hopefully interesting new info. My birthday’s Saturday and football season is in sight so at least from this perspective the light’s getting brighter.

As always, I hope this helps ...