Forum Classics

Latest CDF tidbits from Pitt State fan

Posted by elephantman on February 19, 2001

Pitt Sate booster Keith Swanson has kindly sent me a few more tidbits about CDF. After the last two very insightful posts from Keith via his emails I didn't think there was anything else he could offer, but I sent one more email begging for info about Fran's emphasis on S&C at PSU, since we Bama fans have gone rightfully nuts over Fran's emphasis on S&C at Bama. I've just about picked his brain clean on begging him for more anecdotes about Fran's tenure at Pitt State and so I know he's relieved:) Keith is about as big a fan of college football as there is regardless of classification, and obviously a huge Gorilla fan; he's sent a link to a photograph of PSU's stadium for those that are interested at the end of this post. PSU, like Bama, is in the midst (Gorilla's in the Midst?) of updating their stadium and facilites to be second to none in Div.II. The stadium is not large capacity-wise, but Keith is particularly proud of PSU's unique gorilla mascot. If interested, Keith wants you to look at top-right of photo and notice the huge gas-filled Gorilla on the track (Keith says the Gorilla likes to welcome all visitors to his jungle); photo is small so look hard. After paying due respect to the Gorilla tradition, here's his latest Fran tidbits:

"As mentioned previously, I'm a College Football junkie, but not always at the Division II Level. I went to a junior college in Kansas, where I was the Sports Editor for the college paper. This school had no football, as college basketball was the game. I saw players like Mitch Richmond, JR Rider, Armon Gilliam, Keith Smart, to name a few. When it was time to go on for my four year degree, I chose Pittsburg State as my best friend was attending there and I had a cousin who lived in Pittsburg. I thought Division II was a step down from the quality players I saw at the JUCO level, so I attended only one game my first year at PSU. The next school year I received a call from my brother who informed me that PSU was getting a new football coach and he thought I should give this guy a chance to see if he could improve the fortunes at Pitt State, like he did for Soutwestern College in Winfield, KS. You see, my brother is a Chiropractor in Winfield, KS and while he was there Coach Fran would have my brother work on his players in between games to get them back into shape. Coach Fran had a 14-4-2 record at Southwestern, which at the time was not a football power. That next year, when I attended the Gorillas first home game and defeated the same opponent that beat them the year before by the score of 62-14, by the score of 14-13 in the rain, I was hooked. In Coach Fran WE TRUST!!!

Attached is the link (see below), I wanted to share with you. Also, link into Pitt State Football/Athletic Facilities/Strength & Conditioning. Now its not the facilities at Nebraska, but I think you would be hard pressed to find any in Division II to match it. To answer your previous e-mail message regarding the strength and conditioning of the Gorillas while Coach Fran was here. What I recall is this, when Coach Fran came to PSU he too was embarrassed by the conditioning of his new team. That quickly changed, within a year the Gorillas were not only the biggest & strongest, but definitely the fastest of any teams we faced in our Conference. You know the old saying,"Bigger, Stronger, Faster", well that definitely described Coach Fran's Gorillas. But I think if Coach Fran had a choice he would choose Stronger and Faster anyday. Just because you are 6ft 6in and weigh 345lbs doesn't make you any better that someone 6ft 2in weighing a svelt 300lbs. Coach Fran wants his players to be stronger and faster at the end of the game when it counts most. I will say this about Coach Fran's defense while he was at Pitt. They played assignment football, they never got beat on reverses or anything like that, and his defense flew to the ball. Most of the time there was 3-6 players bringing down the ballcarrier as opposed to one-on-one tackles on the edge. I hope some of this info. is of use.

Keep me updated with the Tides Spring football. I would be curious to hear what the players think of Coach Fran. I think I know what the answer to the last statement will be, but it would be nice to see it in print."

Roll TIDE and Welcome To The JUNGLE!!!

Keith Swanson, Kansas City Gorilla Club President

PSU link with pic (small photo, look hard) of inflatable Gorilla:

http://www.geocities.com/littlehanikacp3/My_Page_Littlehanika.html