Forum Classics

Re: Question for OLineMom...

Posted by OLineMom on January 10, 2001

Nothing like what is being discussed here ever occurred during Wesley's recruiting (that we were aware of). UA coaches went out of their way to make sure not to commit a violation. The recruit is also responsible for his actions in the recruiting process and if he doesn't follow those rules he could beome ineligible to participate. Accusations were made concerning UA recruiting by other schools, but mainly general in nature. Most schools promised that Wesley would be an "impact player", and most promised that he would start his freshman year. But UA coaches never promised him that. He was told exactly what talent was there and what talent was probably coming there. Wesley knew what the competition for his position would be but he chose Bama anyway because he knew anything good is worth fighting for.

In our experiences, I would find it very hard to believe that the University had any part in any of this. I'm not saying this "stuff" never happens, I'm just saying it never happened to us. Wesley has to work for everying he gets except for what we, as his parents, provide for him.

Let me share this with you. Wesley called last night and was very excited about the coaching changes. He told us that the players received their "manuals" yesterday and that they had begun reviewing it. One change that is being made is that all players are required to eat breakfast at Bryant Hall at 7:15. Also, workouts are required (I believe he said) 6 days a week, including Saturdays. He said the players were all for it and looking forward to the challenge. It sounds like morale is high at T-Town. He also said one missed class would result in disciplinary action.