Forum Classics

Recruiting - Depth Chart 2003

Posted by TampaJim on September 28, 2001

I know, I know,... get a life (or at least get back to work).

Despite my admitted ignorance regarding some of the nuances of college football recruiting, I think that it is safe to say that college coaches recruit to fill needs.

So what will our needs be and how will that effect this year's recruiting class? One way to predict this is to look at our existing players and where we might be a little thin in the coming years.

So, without further explaination, here's a projected depth chart for 2003, with each player's class status as well. Some guesses as to some of our signees this year are included as well (indicated by enclosed brackets [ ]):

QB - Croyle (So), Pennington (So), Avalos (RFr)

* Personally, I like the idea of signing at least one QB each year. Whoever we sign in 2003 will be fourth string (and likely red-shirted).

RB - S. Williams (Sr), Hudson (Jr), Beard (Sr), Darby (RFr), [Wynn (RFr)]

* Even if we don't sign Wynn or Osborne in 2002, we have some decent depth at RB. We will, however, have a lot of carries to offer to Darby and Wynn/Osborne in 2004.

FB - Lowe (Sr), Signiago (Jr), Dupree (So)

* With scholarship reductions, I don't know if we sign a "pure FB" in the coming years. Rather, I'd look for other players to be moved to FB. That's why I've put Marquez Dupree here.

WR - Luke (Sr), Fulgham (Sr), Givens (Jr), Greer (Sr), Brooks (So)

* Is there any doubt that we need to sign some WRs this year? Players like Titus Ryan, Ben Obomanu, Grant Brigham, etc., could arguably be starting by their sophomore (or redshirt freshman) years in 2003. Bottom line - we need playmakers at WR.

TE - Clark (Sr), Johnston (So)

* I hope that Clint Johnston is the answer at TE, but I think that we'll need to either sign a TE in 2003 or move someone there for depth purposes. Clark should be an excellent blocker (think Shaun Draper), but we need a pass-catching threat.

QT - Britt (Jr), Ewing (So)

QG - Smiley (Jr), Martz (Jr)

C - Closner (So), (backup - Mathis)

SG - Alexander (Sr), M. Sanders (So)

ST - Mathis (Jr), Lomax (Sr), Dickey (RFr)

* I love the potential of the starting five, especially if Closner is equal to the task (the coaches seem to think that he is). Would I like some more depth? You bet. But realistically, unless we sign Tony Ugoh this year (doubtful), then this is it. Any OL we sign in February, 2003, will probably need a redshirt year to bulk up and get used to the speed of the college game. You never know though. Some true freshmen have contributed at OL (Dante, Larry Rose, etc.).

DE - Odom (Sr/RJr), Bates (Jr), [B. Grubbs (So)]

DT - [Tatum (So)], [J. Clark (RFr)]

NT - Bryant (Sr), [H. Smith (So)]

DE - NMLoescher (Sr), Anderson (So), [C. Harris (RFr]

* A lot of guesswork required here, but it again shows you that any DL prospect that signs with us this year has a great opportunity to play a lot of minutes by his sophomore or redshirt freshman year (especially at DT). BTW, note the speed of the DEs.

SLB - Wortham (Sr), King (So), Browder (So)

MLB - Roach (Jr), D. Pope (Sr), [Nance (So)]

ROV - Daniels (Sr), Rawls (Jr), Garth (RFr)

* Again, note the speed of these guys. Derrick Pope could be a starter at SLB or at least the first LB off the bench. If Christopher Browder qualifies (and doesn't move to DE), then he could surprise a lot of people with his early playing time.

CB - McBride (Sr), Peprah (So), Madison (So)

SS - Andrews (Sr), C. James (Jr)

FS - C. Jones (Sr), Harper (So)

CB - Ward (Jr), Ferguson (Sr), Robinson (RFr)

* It is very hard to guess who else we might sign this year at DB. There are a wide assortment of prospects, some of whom could contribute right away (or at least by 2003). Clearly, we are going to need some more depth at safety. Perhaps Thurman Ward or Charlie Peprah moves there; but for now, I'll keep them at CB.

K - McLaughlin

P - Ziifle(?)

* We might use a scholarship to sign a punter (Bearden's last year is 2002).

Sorry for the length, but I hope this gives you something to think about.

RTR!