Forum Classics

Feeling a change in the wind...

Posted by JessN on August 11, 2004

As I sit here and read practice reports and interviews with the coaches and players, I find myself trying to shed the creeping pessimism that started almost immediately after the 2002 Auburn game.

It was the following week that the rumors concerning Franchione's flight to Texas A&M first started to have validity. By the time the team got back from Hawaii, there was serious smoke. From that point forward, everything that has happened in Tuscaloosa has been reactionary rather than progressive.

The Mike Price hire would have been okay had Price not been so devoid of character. I kept up with his teams while he was at WSU -- I'm a writer, I have to -- and I don't see anything wrong with his on-field style. It could have won in the SEC. But it wasn't going to win as long as Price was chasing skirts, chasing thrills and chasing it all down with Maker's Mark.

The Shula hire wasn't my first pick. I would have taken Croom. For that matter, I wanted Croom when we hired Price. I just had a feeling about him. Had he not hired retreads like Ellis Johnson and Woody McCorvey, I'd still say he was headed for greatness. Now he'll have to succeed in spite of his staff rather than because of it, at least on defense.

Going into the 2003 season, practice reports centered on how fast the players were picking up the offense, and whether they were going to be emotional basket cases. Turns out the answer was not what we wanted. Injuries, an offensive line ill-suited to such a landmark shift in blocking strategy, and numbers thinned by probation were a bad combination. After the Ole Miss game, the players just seemed to lose a little bit of drive. And having a head coach who was still learning on the job and having trouble winning the hearts and minds of his team was just the cherry on top of the sundae.

This spring was a little better. We had some leaders developing, and a lot of people -- most notably in my mind Cornelius Wortham, Ramzee Robinson and Matt Miller -- were out to prove something. Over the summer, the majority got serious about conditioning and stayed serious about it. More importantly, Shula grew a shell -- a shell with spikes on it. From listening to his press conferences over the last two days, I don't think he's going to have second thoughts about making tough decisions anymore.

Most importantly, however, there is optimism and determination. A part of me still worries that Ole Miss could come to Tuscaloosa in week two, get lucky and hang 40 points on us, and obliterate the team's spirit. Our guys seem so geeked up right now about the season, that they could either ride that bubble to greatness or have it popped from under them. But I think it's going to go in a different direction. I think they're determined.

And, they're deeper. Everyone made noise about who did and didn't make it into school, but the only one that we lost that would definitely have played somewhere was Travis McCall. Hamilton and Holifield were never expected to make it. Fanney wasn't expected to make it. Washington was expected to make it, but he really needed a redshirt season anyway. Everyone had a cow regardless. Alabama still got a freshman class that might produce three rookie starters from day one (a WR, Castille, Turner) and if the worst thing that happened to UA was that Jake Wingo came instead of Travis McCall, we made out like bandits.

The kids are looking up instead of looking down. That's huge. Of the first five teams we play, Utah State isn't in our atmosphere, Ole Miss is breaking in a new QB and just had to dismiss two of its top five players, Western Carolina is a mediocre Div-IAA team, Arkansas is being led by a QB that isn't exactly the king of his own locker room, and South Carolina has an equal shot at having a strong season or completely imploding from the get-go as Holtz clings to his job by his fingernails.

For the first time in two years, Alabama has the look of a team that is finding itself in a better situation than many or most of its peers. Please, Lord, let 'em stay healthy, because if they do, this could be where the turnaround starts.

Jess