Forum Classics

If Coach O hired Writer Mike McKenzie, Vol. 4

Posted by King Biscuit on May 10, 2006

Wednesdays with Ed

I don't know of any coach who doesn't have to rely on his wonderful family from time to time. Hell, more than once, the lovely Mrs. O has had to slap some sense into a boy's mama who was a little hesitant about signing a letter-of-intent.

It's the same for me. Hell, our recruiting has been so BY-GOD outstanding at Ole Miss lately that it's required more than just me and my staff to handle it. After all, Ole Miss is the school of BY-GOD opportunity. We don't have a bunch of dead weight hanging around here. I tell a boy "If you are good enough to beat somebody out for your position, hell, we're not wasting groceries on his ass any more. We'll give him a damn bus ticket to Delta State!" Plus, we have great facilities. Like The Eli Manning Indoor Complex!! The Eli Manning Weight Room!!! The Eli Manning Wax Museum!!! And The Ben Obamanu Dropped Ball Clinic!!! We think that's funny as hell.

Anyway, with all this by-god opportunity, it's been more than me and the staff can handle. So, like many coaches, I turned to my family for support. (Editor's Note: Coach O's father-in-law was to be buried in an Ole Miss shirt recently, but turned out to be drunk, not dead. The shirt has subsequently been ripped to shreds)

One family member I can always count on is my uncle, Jean-Pierre-Diderot Orgeron. I said "Uncle Didi, we have done offered all the high school boys in Mississippi! We've offered all the junior high boys in Mississippi! But we just ain't had time to hit the elementary schools! So that's where I need your help. Get to those elementary schools and start offering!!!"

Well, things turn out funny sometimes. Blame this one on ol' Coach O. My fault. My bad. I intend to beat my own ass with a tire iron as soon as get the time. Because it seems, in my haste, that I did not specify to Uncle Didi that I wanted him to offer "football scholarships." Hell, I just said "offers..."

Well, seems that Uncle Didi had sort of a past history of making "offers" at the elementary school, if you get my drift. And, naturally enough, there's always some sissy-ass parents who don't see that sort of thing makes a boy tougher in the long run. No, they had to go calling the cops.

Well, they run Uncle Didi in and he's got to share a cell with some STARKVILLERS and other low-life, but they do let him have his one phone call. (See above). So I go down to the station and I say "Boys, you been mighty good to me! You been mighty good to my players! You been mighty good to my assistant coaches! Now I am asking you to extend the same damn courtesy to my uncle, who was just expressing some natural urges."

So they all said "Hotty Toddy, O, and turned him loose quicker than Tuberville crossing the LaFayette County line. We did agree to take Uncle Didi off the elementary schools, though. We've shifted him over to fertilizer duty at the Eli Manning Practice Field, and he's taken to that pretty well.

In the meantime, we're still recruiting our asses off. Some-damn-body told me the other day that it was some sort of NCAA Dead Period and I said "Fine, then we won't recruit any damn boys who are dead in this period. And if the N-C-By-God-A don't like that, they can..."

Be of good cheer.