Forum Classics

Re: Harold will not play FB....

Posted by gimme3 on July 14, 2000

Careful about not revealing your sources to some of these guys.(g) Somebody will think you're just making this stuff up. Who cares?

The folks whose info is solid always has the patina of solid gold after a few posts and you definitely fall into that category. What confuses me occassionally is when one of these posters lets his opinion override what he knows or fails to make the distinction between fact and opinion. Also its disconcerting to us mere mortals when two posters, both with solid contacts inside the program provide us with conflicting data(g). Its like Reddog says there are violent differences of opinion in any organization woth its salt and its apparant when poster #1 posts something he was told by coach A and poster two posts sometning coach B told him.

Back during the circus that was the Santonio Beard recruitment I was speaking to a person who talked to Santonio, his mom, or both almost every day. A lot of the garbage on here was making it back to Santonio (some through UT channels) and this person asked me to come on this board and try to put out the fire because Alabama was where Santonio really wanted to go. However, he didn't like seeing his name dragged through the mud any more than anyone else would and evidently was getting mad and upset about some of the stuff folks here were writing about him. This person was telling me all along not to believe the papers, that Santonio was saying he'd sign with Alabama.

When I did as I was asked and tried to calm down some of the more strident posters regarding Santonio's intentions I got all sorts of responses, including one pup told me I didn't know that I was talking about, indeed that I was making up the fact that I knew what was going on with Santonio. I printed the exchange and showed it to the 'source'. We had a good laugh about it, but I was frustrated to no end when it looked for a day or two like Santonio might indeed give in to the local pressure and sign with UT. Here I'd been following recruiting for over 20 years, ironically the only time I'd ever been in a position to help Alabama, and the worst offenders refused to listen to me.

We're probably lucky UT sent his scholarship papers to the wrong place. Sorry for the long winded reply, but I've been sitting on that for over a year now and it always amuses me to see someones knowledge called into question.