Forum Classics

The Bottom Line on Franchione

Posted by BBA on December 07, 2002

This is my last post on Franchione.

Franchione did not have a chain on his leg tying him to Tuscaloosa. He had a buy-out clause, he exercised it.

Is A&M a "step up" or "step down"? It doesn't matter. We've had enough problems with the NCAA that we are tarnished. It's no use arguing that.

No, here is the problem.

"I came into this job with my eyes wide open."

He knew he was getting into a snake-pit, NCAA wise. Five days before National Signing Day, the NCAA slammed us. Franchione convinced 17 high school seniors and their parents to forfeit the opportunity to play in 2 bowls games or any chance at a championship and sign with Bama.

He convinced Derrick Pope to forego ANY chance of ever playing in a bowl game or for a championship and come to Bama.

He convinced Shaud Williams to come to Tuscaloosa, KNOWING Shaud had given up a year of eligibility. When the Sanctions were handed down, he convinced Shaud to stay, knowing that he would never go to a bowl game or play for any championship.

He convinced EVERY ONE of the Juniors and Seniors to forego any Bowl appearances or chances to play for any championship. They were free to leave but he convinced them to stay.

Tyler Watts played over half of his Senior season with a broken foot. Lane Bearden played with a torn ACL. NOBODY and I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y quit at any point during the season. No one, that is, except Dennis Franchione.

These players gave their heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears to The University of Alabama. They didn't quit because, in great part, Franchione convinced them not to quit.

When the rumors started swirling, Franchione told players, parents, administrators and fans that they shouldn't worry.

- He told the fans and media that the rumors were "1diotic".

- He told the players to "hold the rope".

- He told concerned parents "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere", while giving them a hug for reassurance.

- He told the administrators "I'm signing the contract".

He doesn't owe us, the fans, or the administration anything except his word.

But there is one that that can be written in granite - The Univeristy of Alabama 2002 Football Team EARNED a face-to-face explanation of why he lied to them.