Forum Classics

The 2002 team's place in history...

Posted by LJS Law on December 1, 2002

Just saying they are "special" or were "one of my favorites" is a subjective thing ill suited for determining where this team really belongs in Alabama Football History. However, objectively, chew on this because I think it illustrates just how good this football team really was.

Despite playing one of America's toughest schedules (we played 10 freaking bowl teams, have we ever played more?), this Alabama finished

FIRST in the SEC in Total Offense (first time since 1989)
and..
FIRST in the SEC in Total Defense (first time since 1992)

The most incredible aspect of that startling performance is that only TWO Alabama teams EVER accomplished that feat in the same season. The awesome 1972 and 1979 teams.

Anyway you cut it, we put one damn good football team on the field this year. Ask Georgia. If you listen closely, you can hear them already celebrating their SEC Championship. They wouldn't be cheering so loudly if they had to line up against us next Saturday.

Its too tough to rank this team's place in history due to our ineligibility to compete for championships. At Alabama, teams are defined by their championships. However, Post-Bear, if you put our championship teams above the 2002 team (1989, 1992, 1999), then clearly this team measures up to our other ten-win or better teams of the time: 1986, 1991,1994 and 1996.

The 1994 team lost one game by one point. You have to put them fourth behind the Three Championship Teams.

The 1991 team swept both Auburn and Tennessee and only lost once. Maybe you rank them ahead of the 2002 group.

So I think this team ranks alongside, maybe above or maybe below, the 1996 group. Its kind of tough and we should mention that NONE of the teams enumerated above led the league in Offense and Defense. So maybe this team ranks ahead of all of them.

Now we have come full circle and are more comfortable ranking them subjectively, maybe its just best to say that this was a special team, they were fun to watch, they were very talented and played with a lot of heart and they did something tougher than "set the bar" for future Alabama teams. They maintained our 110 year tradition of excellence on the football field.